We're certainly going to go back, mostly to see Cat Ba island, the largest island in the bay, which also has a small town and a national park for hiking and biking. I managed to take a good number of pictures before my camera battery died, so they're up on Picasa now.However, this lovely weekend was nearly stopped before it got started by my being a bit of an idiot (yet again). In Vietnam, anytime you do or buy anything major, especially including staying overnight somewhere, you need your passport. Naturally, I forgot mine, and realized this about an hour into the bus ride to Ha Long. After consulting somewhat frantically with Alison and having her tell me that I probably wouldn't be able to get on the boat, I decided to ask the tour guide and see what happened. He didn't look too happy, obviously, but after a phone call he turned back to me and said something to the effect of "It's okay, you just pay for passport." Then when we got to the dock and everyone else was handing over their passports, the official says to me "No passport, you pay for passport." So I handed him a 200,000 Dong note (a little over $12), and miraculously, everything was resolved nicely and I was on the boat a few minutes later. Now that's an effective system.
1 comment:
Love the Bookateria t-shirt!
Post a Comment